Curators Davidson and Ponce de Leon will choose four sites in Detroit as the loci for speculative projects, determined in consultation with a committee of advisors deeply familiar with the city, including planners, historians, community organizers, and government officials. The curators will then select twelve participants and assign one of the sites to each architect or firm (three projects per site).
The twelve projects will be exhibited in the pavilion and documented in an exhibition cataLog, a special issue of the journal Log. The selection process will be conducted in one stage. To be considered, architecture practices and teams of architects formed for the purpose of participating in The Architectural Imagination are invited to submit an Expression of Interest. The curators are looking for design excellence, innovative speculative thinking, and architectural expertise in built and/or unbuilt work.
Any firm or team composed of individuals with permanent resident status must include a US citizen to be legally eligible; individual architects must be US citizens. Teams must include at least one practicing architect or architectural designer. Current architecture students are not eligible to participate. An architect may participate in only one EOI submission, whether as an individual, with a firm, or on team of individuals.
HOW TO ENTER
We are no longer accepting submissions. The architects have been selected.
- August 13, 2015: Deadline for architects submitting an Expression Of Interest.
- September 24, 2015 - October 16, 2015: Architects travel to Michigan for site visits, tours, and community meetings in Detroit, and one round-table discussion per site at Taubman College.
- October 2015: Launch of "My Detroit" Photo Competition (more details coming soon)
- December 31, 2015: Deadline for "My Detroit" Photo Competition
- January 2015: Jury for "My Detroit" Photo Competition will select twenty winners which will be printed into postcards
- September 1, 2015 – January 31, 2016: Design and fabrication of projects.
- May, 26 2016: Publication of cataLog (Log 37).
- May 28, 2016 – November 27, 2016: 15th International Architecture Exhibition of the Venice Biennale (Vernissage on May 26 - 27, 2016).